Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fire Prevention Week

October 3-9 is Fire Prevention Week!
Click on this link - Fire Prevention - it's a really great website (not to mention where I got these facts from!) that has TONS of info on it about fire safety and prevention. 

In case you're not aware, twice a year (on both time changes) you are to change your smoke alarms batteries.  Since it's not time change yet though, now would be a good time to at least check yours to make sure it's working properly!  Okay, now for a few interesting facts!

  • The top five days for home candle fires are Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Day, Halloween and December 23
  • On average, 42 home candle fires were reported per day
  • The peak months for home heating fires are December, January and February
  • Smoking materials (i.e., cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc.) are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States.
  • Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries
  • Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires
  • Dryers and washing machines were involved in one out of every 23 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments in 2003-2006                  Reproduced from NFPA's Fire Prevention Week Web site, www.firepreventionweek.org. ©2010 NFPA
And, if you have kids, go visit Sparky! It's a fun little site that I think they'll enjoy!

Don't forget to thank a firefighter for all the hardwork they put in to keeping us safe!






3 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for all the reminds. I do check my smoke alarms but don't change the batteries like I should. I need to work on that. Tell Chris thank you for all his hard work. Chris is the only fireman I know. :)

Grandma said...

I cann't reach my alarms on the tall ceilings. I go bananas when one of them goes off because new batteries are needed. I am very proud of Chris for the profession he chose and enjoys the work it takes. Tori, I am also proud of you for supporting Chris. The wife plays an important part in a firemans life.

Unknown said...

Thank you to Chris and your family for the sacrifies you make to keep people safe. People also forget that firemen do a lot more than fight fires. Love to you all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0